Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Children's Literature and Snow Geese




March 5-8, I traveled to and returned from Athens, Georgia, where I attended and presented a paper at the 40th Annual Children's Literature Conference.

The conference invited a couple special guests whom I enjoyed, including Gail Carson Levine, author of Ella Enchanted, and Peter Sis, illustrator and writer whose latest publication is Wall; this beautifully illustrated picture book addresses the author's growing up behind the Iron Curtain.

I took in a Georgia Bulldog baseball game and enjoyed a long walk across the University of Georgia campus and into Athens--as usual, I posted a few photographs.

The U of Georgia campus is impressive and at some 45,000 students quite large. And, well, at the image at the top of the page indicates, the people in and around the area do love their bulldogs.



On the way back from Kansas City Airport, I stopped at Squaw Creek for some photography and took a brief video of the Snow Geese.

As the preceding photograph indicates, that evening more than a few thousand geese populated the water and the air at the park. The video captures something of the numbers and the noise from my visit.



No comments: